Sunday 31 July 2016

Grand Magus - Sword Songs album review

If you know of Grand Magus already then they'll need no introduction, but I got into Grand Magus completely by accident. Before getting into the review, let me quickly tell you how I came across this distinctive band.

Stumbling Across Grand Magus

I was waiting for my friends to meet me at midday on the Sunday at Download Festival 2016, when one texted me saying they were running very late due to thronging traffic and that I should head off and see a band instead of waiting for them at the entrance. I headed over to the stage nearest me - the Zippo stage - and waited for the scheduled band to appear, whilst also trying not to slip over in the multiple inches of traditional Download mud. 
 
 

Janne 'JB' Christofferson
I didn't even know the name of the band yet. I didn't have a program and couldn't even decipher the text sprawled in ancient font on a banner at the rear of the stage. Lead singer and sole electric guitarist, Janne 'JB' Christofferson, emerged with his Flying-V Gibson, introduced himself and his two comrades as Swedish band, Grand Magus, and started playing. The only way I could describe what resonated from the stack of Marshall amplifiers was a mash-up of Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Dio and Judas Priest; fantastically dense, riff driven Heavy Metal, but well constructed and not overbearingly fast or even thrash - the latter of which I cannot stand by the way. Much like the first time someone elucidated the genre of Nightwish to me - symphonic Metal - the light bulb when off when 'JB' announced Grand Magus as 'Viking Rock' midway through their set - an apt description and a genre I'd certainly never heard of before.

After doing some research on the band and listening to their whole back catalogue in the six weeks since, I felt confident enough to review their latest album, Sword Songs, released a month before Download, that they performed a few tracks from when I was there.

Sword Songs

Stories of Norse Gods and mythology, battles and the forging of swords - what's not to like?! Grand Magus have made a 15 year career of narrating the prodigious tales of their homeland through the medium of Heavy Metal. You may have thought that after eight albums this gimmick would have become a little laborious, perhaps even repetitive, but - much like Iron Maiden and Motorhead - why change a winning formula?


Although never changing their core style, Grand Magus have altered the delivery by a few degrees on each album. Iron Will from 2008 arguably displayed the grandest of Grand Magus; a supreme demonstration of power Metal, while Hammer Of The North, 2010, exhibited Grand Magus piling on the doom; akin to Black Sabbath in many aspects. Sword Songs takes yet another tangent - offering a more measured approach and diverse structure to the point of considering it a concept album - but without losing sight of what they've made before.

As far as the concept goes, there's the battle cry - Varangian - the preparation for war - Forged in Iron, Crowned in Steel - the declaration of war - Master of the Land - and the Norse honour of dying on the battle field - Last One to Fall. That said, not all nine tracks (11 on the deluxe edition) follow the same trend; Everyday There's a Battle to Fight is quite simply an empowering song about overcoming everyday struggles.

It's exciting storytelling combined with well composed Heavy Metal; it's well worth checking out!

Rating - 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment